Photo Mika Lappalainen
Erottaja Rescue Station
The Erottaja rescue station is located in a building designed by Theodor Höijer, completed in 1891. The rescue station, built on the top of a tall hill, rises 42m above the city, and its tower offers fantastic views out over Helsinki. The historical atmosphere and the long traditions of the second oldest municipal professional fire brigade in the Nordic countries, having been operating since 1861, create a worthy setting also for the Fire museum.
The Fire Museum covers a space of almost 600 square metres in the internal courtyard of the Erottaja Rescue Station. The Museum serves customers during its regular opening hours, and groups by agreement. Guided groups may also visit the station's tower, which offers beautiful views almost all the way to Tallinn.