写真 Esko Jämsä
Mikael Agricola Church
The church, named after Bishop Mikael Agricola, who created the basis for the literary Finnish language, rises above the roofs of Punavuori and Eira. The Mikael Agricola church is one of the most actively used churches in our country.
The church, designed by Lars Sonck, was dedicated in spring 1935. The church tower, rising to the height of 103 metres, visible from far out to sea, became the landmark of southern Helsinki during the war, and proved to be a risk. The 30-metre spike-like upper part extending the church tower was lowered inside the tower to prevent enemy pilots from using it as a navigation point.