Photo Linda Tammisto
Designed by architect C. L. Engel in collaboration with professor F.W.A. Argelander, the Helsinki Observatory was completed on Tähtitorninmäki hill in 1834. The Observatory now functions as the astronomy visitors centre of the Helsinki University Museum. The Observatory's exhibition gives people of all ages an opportunity to learn about the history of the building and the wonders of space.
The Observatory building accommodates not only the Centre for Astronomy, but also the offices of Ursa Astronomical Association, the University's Almanac Office and a café (open by reservation only).